Brushing your teeth is the most effective and helpful thing that you can do daily to maintain optimum health for your smile. It should be treated as part of your self-care routine.
We’re often surprised that most patients don’t know the correct method for brushing their teeth. Let’s look at how to do this properly today.
When brushing your teeth,
- Squeeze a pea-sized amount of toothpaste onto your toothbrush. You really don’t need more than this.
- Hold your toothbrush to a 45 degree angle to your teeth and brush gently in a forward and backward motion. You can also brush in a round motion, or apply a downwards stroke so as to sweep any residue off your tooth.
- Don’t be afraid to gently brush up under your gum line. You will be surprised how many particles may lodge there whilst eating.
- Use a soft, gentle toothbrush.
- Don’t forget to brush behind the teeth!
If you’re like most people, then brushing your teeth is just a (twice) daily chore and not much thought goes into it. Given that we practice most habits on a subconscious level, that makes sense. However, brushing your teeth with the correct method is pivotal for the health and hygiene of your gums and teeth. It also helps keep us dentists away!
Believe it or not, most patients who come through the hygiene rooms at The Melbourne Smile Centre often need a refresher on the right way to brush their teeth. It all comes down to technique and makes a very big difference in outcome.